Thursday, October 20, 2022

Camp NoBeBoSco


In honor of Halloween being right around the corner, I decided to honor New Jersey's very own famous horror spot. You may not know it by its actual name, but Camp NoBeBoSco was the filming location of the famous horror franchise, Friday the 13th. That's right, Camp NoBeBoSco is the infamous Camp Crystal Lake where Mrs. Voorhees lost her marbles and went on a killing spree in revenge of her late son, Jason, who later becomes the killer for the rest of the franchise. The filming location was chosen aroun 1979 while the film was released in 1980.

I had the honor of joining my sister and her fiancée for their engagement shoot at this camp recently, as they will be wed on Friday the 13th. NoBeBoSco first opened its grounds to boy scouts in 1927, and has been a successful camp ever since, having housed over 500 boys for their first year. This camp is a privately owned camp, and trespassing is illegal, however, the camp does offer a few tours throughout the year for horror and film buffs. The original 'Welcome to Camp Crystal Lake' sign, when not being used around the camp for photo opportunities, can usually be found in their trading post. The camp has only, exclusively, been used for the Boy Scouts of America, and for filming horror films. The camp has been open so long, it even survived through World War II.

My sister's engagement shoot wasn't the only time I've visited this iconic camp, however. I'd walked these grounds a few times before when my brother was a boy scout and used to camp here. The grounds are beautiful and if you ever get a chance to visit this beautiful piece of land, legally, I highly suggest it.

P.S. - Fun fact, my dad dressed up like Jason for this photo shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In my hometown of Secaucus, New Jersey, there is a museum which displays many artifacts of our town’s history. While the building holds the ...